The Queen Victoria Women’s Centre building – 100 years of bricks and spirit
In 1912 the foundation stone for the new Melbourne Hospital building was laid in Lonsdale Street. Designed by father-and-son architectural team JJ and EJ Clark, the purpose built ‘pavilion’ hospital filled the entire city block bound by Swanston, Lonsdale, Russell and Little Lonsdale Streets.
Over the next century, three pioneering establishments have occupied the site; The Melbourne Hospital, The Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital, and the Queen Victoria Women’s Centre which occupies the only surviving structure of what was an innovative and vast hospital complex, the beautiful heritage-listed Edwardian Baroque tower at 210 Lonsdale Street.
In 2012 the Queen Victoria Women’s Centre embarked on three projects to promote the centenary of our building and share the stories of our bricks and sprit.